The FlashTool software solution for flashing any Sony firmware for phones. The software is called FlashTool because all of these phones flash firmware using the S1 protocol based on FTF (Flash Tool Firmware) files. This powerful tool comes highly recommended for any Sony Xperia phones since FlashTool is compatible with all of them. As long as you have all of your mobile phone drivers properly installed, flashing your phone is a simple and safe process. Here is a detailed guide for Install Firmware on Sony Xperia Phones.
How to Install Firmware on Sony Xperia Phones
- Firmware file for your device (.FTF)
- USB cable
Please note that i wrote this tutorial for flash tool version (0.9.23.2). If you are using other versions there may be some difference for flashing the same file. So i request you to download the same version mentioned here or do it with your own risk.
Make sure to Enable “USB debugging” and “Unknown sources” on your Sony Xperia device, click here for help
- Download and install the Flashtool package from the official website.
- Now go to your installed directory (usually – ‘C:\Flashtool\drivers’) and install Flashtool drivers
- Tick the “Flashmode Drivers” and “Fastboot Drivers” to install (see below image)
Note: To install the Flashtool drivers for Windows 8/8.1/10, please click here.
- Here we finished installing Flashtool now Open It.
- Click on the lightning bolt in the top left of Flashtool as highlighted below.
Select, ‘Flashmode’ and click OK
You should already be in the source folder where the FTF firmware files are located. If not, navigate to: “C:\Users\[Your PC Name]\.flashTool\firmwares” If you still not able to find the path check this too, “C:\Flashtool\firmwares\” now you should get it.
Select the firmware build version that you want to flash from the “Firmware” pane. Ensure the device variant is the same as the model number of your Sony Xperia device.
‘A clean install is the way to go‘
So tick all options under the “Wipe” pane. This will wipe all of your data though including your photos and videos, so please ensure you have these backed up somewhere else.
Leave all others unchanged
Click on “Flash“. Flashtool will then indicate that it is “preparing files for flashing”.
Sometimes, you may have to wait around 60 seconds for the pop-up below to appear. Once it does, make sure that the device is powered off and then hold the ‘volume down’ button and connect the usb cable. Once the pop-up disappears and flashing has started, you can let go of the ‘volume down’ button.
Flashtool will then start flashing your Xperia device.
Once you see “Flashing finished” as indicated below, your Sony Xperia has been successfully flashed.
Hurray 🙂 you have just installed stock firmware! Now disconnect your Xperia device and power on the handset.
It will take some time for the first boot so, don’t worry if it takes a while, this is to be expected.
You can use the firmware for variety of purposes, which includes:
- Fix your phone if it’s giving you force closes errors and restarts randomly.
- Unbrick your phone..
- Go Back to Stock on your phone.
- Restore Sony phone to factory state.
- Upgrade your phone’s firmware to newer Android version.
- Downgrade your phone firmware version.
- Unroot your Sony phone.
- Remove custom recovery like TWRP and CWM, if installed.
To perform any of the above, simply install the firmware meant for your device, as per its model no. in Settings > About device.
Need help? Let us know if you need any help regarding this via comments below.
Tags – Install Firmware on Sony Xperia phones, Install Firmware on Sony Xperia devices
Popular Xperia Rom’s
- Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Stock ROM D5803, D5833
- Sony Xperia C3 Stock ROM D2533
- Sony Xperia C3 Dual Stock ROM D2502
- Sony Xperia Z2a Stock ROM D6563 [Taiwan Region]
- Sony Xperia T3 Firmware D5102, D5103, D5106
- Sony Xperia E1 Firmware D2005
- Sony Xperia E1 Dual Firmware D2104, D2105
- Sony Xperia Z2 Firmware D6502, D6503, D6543
- Sony Xperia Z5 Firmware E6603, E6653
- Sony Xperia Z3+ Dual Firmware