In this post, we have managed to share the official Firmware for Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 and C6506 models. We will update the article if we found any custom ROMs for this phone. Xperia ZL is released in May 2013 with a 4.3-inch touchscreen display which is having 480 x 854 pixels and 228 PPI density. Xperia ZL is powered with Dual-core 1.0 GHz Krait processor and Qualcomm MSM8230 Snapdragon 400 chipset coupled with 1GB RAM. The Sony Xperia ZL runs Android 4.1 jellybean and is upgradable to 4.2.2. The phone consists of 8GB internal memory and is expandable up to 32GB via MicroSD card.
If you want to try another custom ROM’s in your device you can download the available ROMs or recoveries for your Sony Xperia ZL and flash it using guides provided in this website. In order to install any ROMs other than stock, you have to root your phone and then need to flash custom recoveries like CWM (clockwork mode) or TWRP on your phone. Usually, we flash stock ROMs if something wrong with the software side. So, after the firmware flashes your Sony Xperia ZL phone will be in a factory reset condition.
Note: If you find any new stock firmwares that you want added to this list please comment below or contact me.
Download links provided below are from third-party websites and please note that techbiriyani.com is not hosted any ROM in our website if any of the below links is dead pls inform me.
From below, you can download the latest firmware for your phone. Please make sure that you are downloading the correct build for your phone. You can either seek help from us or from google.
Check your device model number from Settings > About phone, then download the specific firmware for your device.
Sony Xperia ZL Firmware [C6502]
Android Version – 5.0.1 | Region – Customized US
Android Version – 4.2.2 | Region – India
Sony Xperia ZL Firmware [C6503]
Android 5.0.1 | Region : CAJ
Android 5.0.1 | Region : Brazil
Sony Xperia ZL Firmware [C6506]
Android Version – 5.1.1 | Region – Customized US
Android Version – 4.1.2 | Region – Customized US
How to Install Firmware file
- Firmware file for your device (.FTF)
- USB cable
Make sure to Enable “USB debugging” and “Unknown sources” on your Sony Xperia device, click here for help.
- Download and install the Flashtool package from official website.
- Now go to your installed directory (usually – ‘C:\Flashtool\drivers’) and install Flashtool drivers
- Tick the “Flashmode Drivers” and “Fastboot Drivers” to install (see below image)
Note: To install the Flashtool drivers for Windows 8/8.1/10, please click here.
- Here we finished installing Flashtool now Open It.
- Click on the lightning bolt in the top left of Flashtool as highlighted below.
Select, ‘Flashmode’ and click OK
You should already be in the source folder where the FTF firmware files are located. If not, navigate to: “C:\Users\[Your PC Name]\.flashTool\firmwares” If you still not able to find the path check this too, “C:\Flashtool\firmwares\” now you should get it.
Select the firmware build version that you want to flash from the “Firmware” pane. Ensure the device variant is the same as the model number of your Sony Xperia device.
‘A clean install is the way to go‘
So tick all options under the “Wipe” pane. This will wipe all of your data though including your photos and videos, so please ensure you have these backed up somewhere else.
Leave all others unchanged
Click on “Flash“. Flashtool will then indicate that it is “preparing files for flashing”.
Sometimes, you may have to wait around 60 seconds for the pop-up below to appear. Once it does, make sure that the device is powered off and then hold the ‘volume down’ button and connect the usb cable. Once the pop-up disappears and flashing has started, you can let go of the ‘volume down’ button.
Flashtool will then start flashing your Xperia device.
Once you see “Flashing finished” as indicated below, your Sony Xperia has been successfully flashed.
Hurray 🙂 you have just installed stock firmware! Now disconnect your Xperia device and power on the handset.
It will take some time for the first boot so, don’t worry if it takes a while, this is to be expected.
You can use the firmware for variety of purposes, which includes:
- Fix your Sony Xperia ZL if it’s giving you force closes errors and restarts randomly.
- Unbrick your Sony Xperia ZL if it’s boot looping and stuck at logo when restarting.
- Go Back to Stock on your Sony Xperia ZL firmware — helps when looking to sell the device, or fix installing OTA updates if broken.
- Restore Sony Xperia ZL to factory state i.e original state when you bought.
- Upgrade your Sony Xperia ZL to newer Android version.
- Downgrade your Sony Xperia ZL to lower build no. at same Android version.
- Unroot your Sony Xperia ZL.
- Remove custom recovery like TWRP and CWM, if installed, on your Sony Xperia ZL.
To perform any of the above, simply install the firmware meant for your device, as per its model no. in Settings > About device.
Need help? Let us know if you need any help regarding this via comments below.